on “Sovereign Hill Camp
32 Comments on “Sovereign Hill Camp
  1. Dear Everyone,
    In camp I am looking forward to seeing what sovereign looked like when the gold rush happened, buying stuff from the shops, going to see the blood on the southern cross show, seeing the horses, going on the train, panning for gold and mostly spending time with my friends.

From Joanne

2. Dear Everyone,

What are you looking forward to while you are at camp?

I’m really excited for camp and I am looking forward to finding gold in the Gold Panning Creek! I have never been to Sovereign Hill and I really want to see everything that there is. I also want to find out about the story of the Red Hill Mine. I want to see it, especially if it’s underground. I’m also hoping to make new friends while in our cabins. I think this new camp experience at Sovereign Hill will truly be a fun adventure.

From Sandra.

3. Dear Bloggers,
    I am looking forward to Gold Panning because I want to find some gold.I am also excited for being with my friends although I don’t think I will be able to sleep well because I am never used to sleep in unfamiliar places.I have never been to Sovereign Hill before so I am looking forward to seeing how everything is built since it was based on how it was like during the Gold Rush.But I really think camp is about learning and to have an experience with our friends and class mates.

From Jessica

4. Dear 4VA,

At camp, I am looking forward to the Gold Rush experience and looking at the past. I also look forward to the design of the various buildings and mines there, it interests me as the design they used to make the buildings can still be used. The food there also interests me as on the camp booklet, it states that the food at Soverign hill is of a high standard. I can go around the streets of Sovereign hill and look inside the buildings with other people. If I find gold, I will keep it with me at all times.

From Rob.

5. Dear Bloggers,

What I’m looking forward to on camp is the candle making because I remember doing it when I was a toddler and I want to do it again. I remember dipping it in three different colours and dipping the candle in two colours to make more colours. I remember that my one looked like a rainbow.

I’m also looking forward to panning for gold I also remember doing this when I was a toddler. I remember that me and my Pa got a pan and we panned but didn’t have any luck.

From Jack1.

6. Hi Bloggers,
    I’m excited for gold panning at camp, because it looks fun and easy to do, I want to find real gold straight from the gold panning area, I also think I’m going to learn lots of things near gold panning than I’d learn anywhere else, though I think I’ll still learn lots of things everywhere at Sovereign Hill.

Dan

7. Dear 4AP,

I am looking foreword to visiting the tin smith because tin smith is another word black smith and I love ores and minerals. also I’m looking foreword to visiting the mines because I love ores and minerals like gold ,iron ,silver ,copper and steel. I’m also looking foreword to the candy shop because I have a bit of a sweet tooth. The thing I’m really looking foreword to it the horse and carriage rides because I really like animals and horses are one of my favourite animals. I’m also looking foreword to going bowling at the bowling saloon. last second last thing I’m looking foreword to is the blood on the southern cross show because I love fireworks. The last thing I’m looking foreword to is going gold panning because I want to see if I can find gold.

From Tass

8. Dear bloggers

I am look forward to camp and the places I would like to go is the lollies shop because the lollies are sweet and lollies is my favourite food after dinner.
    The other place I’m looking forward to is the red hill gold mine because I love seeing gold and walk down to see the second biggest gold. And the other place I want to go is bowling saloon because the bowling in Melbourne you have to put three fingers in the three holes and its 10 pins but the one in Ballerat you have to throw under arm and it’s only 9 pins.

From Ivo

9. Hello everyone

At camp my first thing that I will be looking forward to gold panning because we get to find real gold and take it home with us. My second thing that I will be looking forward to camp is the old bowling centre because we will get to play old style bowling for free and learn how to play the old style of bowling.

My third thing that I will be looking forward to at camp is going to the lollie shop because it has lots of tasty sweets and candy that we can buy there and see how they made sugar in the olden days. My last thing that i will looking forward to is the candle shop because we get to see how they make candles during the gold rush.

From Jayden

10. Hello Everyone,

This week the grade 5’s and 6’s are going to Sovereign Hill for camp. We are staying for two days and one night. I’m really looking forward to, well…everything!
    When I go to Sovereign Hill I want to do everything. I’ve been to Sovereign Hill before but I’ve never seen The Blood on the Southern Cross which is a sound and light show with no actors. On their website they had a little description which explained what the show was for. I found out that the show is actually a story, a story about some miners who said an oath on a flag on Australian soil that wasn’t British – The Southern Cross. It’s at night and the teachers say it’s going to be freezing. The show is presented on a set that has all sorts of effects rigged to each building. They actually have a building which I think is the Eureka Stockade that is actually rigged so it can be set on fire, obviously not real fire. We see each scene’s performance by transportation. We get on a little cart that takes us to each scene and stops when the performance starts.

I’m also looking forward to getting a wanted poster with my photo on it. The photo gets printed on a poster which has details about why you are wanted. It says the reward for anybody who brings you in and it says what you are wanted for too. The other thing I want to do is get a horse shoe with my name stamped on it.

On the second day we get free time to explore Sovereign Hill with our friends. We get to go with a group of friends and go from store to store and we can buy whatever we want but we are only allowed to bring $25 or less. I am bringing $25 but I’m going to be strategic with what I buy because I am going again on the holidays. One of things I will definitely pay for is the coach rides where you can go on a horse and carriage. Those are just some of things I want to do at Sovereign Hill although I will try and do everything.

Kristen

• Dear Kristen,

I asked my dad about the wanted poster, since my family has been there and I was too young to remember, and apparently the wanted poster only has your name printed on it not your whole face. I’m not sure if this true but thats what I’ve heard. Also, its great that you are going on the holidays, but may I ask, did you only plan this now and won’t it be not as fun if you’ve already seen everything? Although at least the rest of your family will be able to experience the magic of Sovereign Hill!

From Lucia

• Hi Kristen

Are you sure you want to do everything because maybe you won’t have any time to do everything. If you want to do all the the stuff at sovereign hill you can go one time with your family so you can have time do to all the things at sovereign hill.

From Jayden

11. Dear bloggers

I am looking forward to camp and the place I would go is the lollie shop because lollies are my favourite food after desert. The other place I’m looking forward to is the blood on the southern cross show and the red hill mine because I love seeing gold and walk down to see the second largest gold nugget. The other place I would go is NewYork bakery because I love bread and when it is toasted. I would like to go to the bowling saloon because I like a full game of bowling.Next I would go to the creek to do gold panning and see if there is gold and good to learn how to do gold panning. I would like to buy a a walking cane to remember sovereign hill and to get a wanted poster and hang it up on my wall and go on one horse ride.

From Andrew3

12. Dear Bloggers,

I am excited to go and see the red hill mine tour and going on the train. I am excited to see the red hill mine tour because I would like to see how the mines looked. I Also want to find out how hard it would of been to find gold. I am also excited to see how the bowling salon looks like. I would also like to play at the bowling Saloon to see how hard or easy it was to play. The thing that I am most excited is gold panning,I would like to learn how to gold pan. I would like to see if I could find some gold.

From Evan

13. Hi Bloggers,
    This week the grade 5/6’s are going to sovereign hill for our camp. What I’m looking forward to at sovereign hill is to spend time with my friends and explore every thing.

First of all I want to go to the Red Hill mine tour. It will be fun to go underground and explore how people mined in the 1850’s. We will get to see how big it was and how tiering it would be.

It would also be fun to go to the creek and pan for gold. We will have to use old mining pans and scoop off all the dirt. I have never found any gold before, but I will look through everything to get some.

After that I want to go to the bowling saloon. We will learn how to bowl like they did years ago and understand why they did it like that. I’ve heard that there are also puzzles to solve and a billiards table.

I am also looking forward to the “Blood On The Southern Cross” show at night. It is a show with just sound and lights. There are no actors though.

These are just some of the things I am looking forward to. Hopefully I will get to see everything.

From Perry

14. Dear Bloggers,

The thing I am looking forward to musket firing, gold panning and bowling.
    The reason why I am looking forward to bowling is that isn’t normal 10 pin bowling I think its 9 pin bowling which has different rules.

From Jayce

15. Dear Bloggers,

I am looking forward to so many things at camp, but so I don’t keep you reading for
    hours, I’ll just name a few!

Firstly, I’m excited for the ‘blood on the southern cross’ sound and light show. I
    have researched it and from what I have heard, seen and read, it is going to be
    really good! I have also read that it is at night, so that’s pretty cool. The other
    event I’m can’t wait for is the underground mine tour, as we will obviously be
    underground and we’ll be able to discover what it as like for the miners at the
    time.

Another thing I’m looking forward to is the free time that we will receive. Since I
    have brought my money, I am expecting to be able to make a candle, buy a horse shoe
    with my name engraved, and a cute toy or lolly for my brothers. Unfortunately, I
    will not be able to eat any lollies myself, because as everyone knows, I have
    braces!

I’m also really, really excited to see all the old fashioned cottages, shops,
    amusement areas, Chinese camps and literally everything else that is there! I love
    history, and now that I get to actually experience and feel as though I’m in that
    era, will be really amazing! I have been to Sovereign Hill before, when I was four,
    therefore I don’t remember much except that I complained over and over about the
    smell of horse droppings… But now that I’m older I guess I’ll be able to get over
    it!

Lastly, I will be very very glad if I’m in a cabin with my closest friend, because I
    will be able to have an even better experience! It will be even better if I am with
    my closest friend in our activity groups! If I’m not, it’ll be very disappointing,
    as I would like to enjoy my last camp for primary school with my friends!

Some things that I’m not too fussed about are; gold panning and the food! I heard
    that the food for the past few years has been really disgusting and made people
    throw up! (Ew!) Also, Apparently when you gold pan you do not find much gold at all,
    except for a few tiny specks.

From Lucia

16. Dear Bloggers,
    I’m really looking forward to the musket firing, it would really cool to fire an actually firing a musket! I am also looking forward to the gold panning, it would be awesome to find gold. If I find gold at Sovereign Hill I would spend the money on a house and a car. It would be nice to see old bowling at Sovereign Hill and seeing Blood on The Southern Cross.

From Jamie

17. Dear Bloggers,

I am looking forward to these things

What Im looking forward to the Lolly shop because I want to try the olden days lolly and how they taste like. I want to see what kind thy have like lollipop and how they were made in the old days.

What I’m looking forward is the gold mine tour because I what to know how miners got they gold in the caves and how deep did they went and how big was the gold nugget and how big was the gold. What I really want to know was how much money is worth a gold nugget and how big was the gold and what was the tiniest gold found.

What I’m looking forward is the Chinese camp. I what to know is what they did, how they went to jail and did they eat fruits all the time. I want to see how they want to jail like why did the police did not like them and did they every eat meat.

From Jimmy

18. Hi Bloggers,

What I am looking forward to at camp is going to the candy shop because I like lollies and sweets and want to buy some to take home our eat there. Also I want to goto the bowling saloon to see what bowling was like back in the day and how it has changed. The one thing I really want to see is the musket firing because in want to know what they are and what they look like.

I also hope I find gold but if I don’t find gold I will just buy some at a shop. I also want to buy something’s like a horse shoe with my name on it and lollies! I am also really existed for the Blood on the Southern Cross.Something’s I am not looking forward to is the red hill mine because I don’t like tiny spaces and being underground.

By Caleb

19. Dear Bloggers,

I am looking forward to the accommodation of the sovereign hill hotel. I am also looking forward to the red hill mine so I could see how they mined back in the time. The bakery also sounds good they sell good things too. I also want the horse shoe as a souvenir because I think it will last a long time.