Frederick McCubbin’s Lost

What is the first thing you notice about this painting?

What do you think the person might be doing/thinking? And why?

What do you think ‘the story’ of this picture is?

What do you notice about its composition? The placing of things in the painting? The colours used?

Now see what you can find out about THIS PAINTING. What surprises you? What have you learnt?

on “Frederick McCubbin’s Lost
38 Comments on “Frederick McCubbin’s Lost
  1. Dear Everyone,
    The first things that I saw was a lot of trees and a girl. I think she might be pregnant and maybe she is lost. Maybe something happened to her husband and her house got destroyed so now she is trying to find someone to help her. The girl has blue and white and the trees and grass have brown, light brown and green.

From Joanne

• Dear Joanne,
      The ideas you have are quite reasonable since something could of happened with her husband and her house could of set on fire. But maybe she is going home to her husband, but is not able to find her way back.

Regards,
      Prakashika

• Dear Joanne
      You described the things in the painting really good. You thought about what she was doing really well but I haven’t thought about her house getting destroyed.

From Molly

2. Dear Bloggers,

The first thing I notice was the girl and you can’t see her face. I think the girl is lost and she is try to find shelter or food.I think the story of this picture is a girl was walking in the woods then she notice was she was lost.I think the paint is amazing it looks like a am watching a movie and the colours make it look real.I have learnt to make sure you choose the right colours to make it look real and I notice the girl might be holding something.

From Jimmy

3. Hi Bloggers,

In this Painting I see a women in the woods ipwho is maybe lost her way.
    The women in the painting seems to me to be holding her hand pbag or something and her other hand on her head maybe because she tired from walking. I think maybe the story in the picture is that a woman back in the 1900’s maybe has lost her way in the woods. The colours In this painting are like earth type colours.

Taymin

4. Dear Bloggers,

The first thing I noticed about the painting is a women in the woods crying.

I think the women is walking, crying and thinking that she needs o find a way out, because she is lost.

The story of the picture is women that walking maybe and then lost her way.

I think the artist did had good compositions because you can see a lot of the nature and still see what the women is doing. I think the artist used the right colours, I liked how one thing has more than a shade in it.

From Ethan

5. Dear Bloggers,

The first thing I notice about this painting is that the biggest tree and the won on the far right make the women stand out. Also the blue and gray leafs makes the women stand out because she is wearing a blue dress. The ground and the background also makes the women stand out.

-Caleb

6. Dear Bloggers,
    The first thing I noticed about this painting is background. Old trees and tall grass make the image more interesting. I think that the lady is looking someone that lost their way and couldn’t come home. I think the story of this picture is about little kids looking for food and they get lost. Most of the colours used are natural colours, which make the picture more descriptive.

From Perry

7. Dear Bloggers,

The first thing I notice about this painting is that there is a woman with her baby lost in the woods. I also notice the colour and texture it has.

From Evan

8. Dear Everyone,

The frist thing I see is the tree. I think she is thinking where am I she looks like she’s pregnant. The story line maybe is she went to the shops she thought maybe I should take the short way home and she got lost? The colours that were used were earthy colours, I have learnt that she was in the same position as the tree.

From Tanaiya

9. Dear 4AP,

The first thing I noticed in the picture was a girl wandering through the bush. I think the person is lost and is wandering though the forest, because she is just walking and looking down.

I think the story of the picture is about a lost girl who doesn’t know where she’s going. I noticed that the girl was a bit to the right while trees are on the left. A thing that surprises me is the amount of colours used on the painting.

From: Jayce

10. Dear Blogger,

The first thing I notice is that there is a lady lost in the bush. She might be thinking where in the world am I and might be trying to find the way back. She might also be felling scared. What I think the story of this picture is that the lady going adventuring and got lost. I like the way things are set out but I don’t understand why there is a area with no trees. I like the colours used because it looked like an actual bush!

From Jack

11. Hello Bloggers,

The first thing that I noticed in this painting is that there is a lady and she is wiping her sweat. I think the lady is doing some farming and she is tired, I can see this because she is wiping her sweat and she is walking in the farms. I think the story is about a lady working in the farms and she’s tried.

By Steven

12. Dear Bloggers,

I noticed the biggest tree in the picture first. I think the person in the picture is trying to find her way home because I think she’s pregnant. Maybe the story was that a woman got pregnant during her walk in the forest, and is now trying to her way home. The composition is well set because you can see an orange grassy field. Also, it seems our view is behind a few mini trees and big trees. The placing of the things in the painting make it look like there’s a path. Also, the colours sort of show that the place is dry.

Hiep

13. Dear 4VA,

The first thing I notice about this picture is the composition, the background are trees with a person standing among them.
    I think this person may be gardening in her backyard or going on a walk.
    I think the story of this picture is that a woman, that is pregnant, has settled to Australia and has made herself at home before stepping outside once again.

From Rob.

14. Hi Bloggers,
    This first thing I noticed about this painting was the metallic blue and cloudy gold colours , which really signify Australia.
    I think this image has a lot of meaning and the painter wanted us to really think about his illustration. I also noticed how the girl is standing with one hand on her stomach the other on her forehead indicating she is pregnant .
    I love how the painter made this look so realistic with the long burnt grass and the bark peeling from the gumtrees.

From Maddie

• Hi Maddie,

I want to ask, did you actually see the colors before the actual objects because you need to look at multiple objects to see the colors, so which object did you see first? I also want to know does the lady putting her hand on her forehead, whilst putting her other hand on her stomach, really indicate she is pregnant and is the grass really burnt?

Kristen

15. Dear Bloggers,

The first thing i notice in this picture is the lady holding her stomach. Obviously she is pregnant, and I can tell that she is not very happy. The expressions show that she is either lost, tired, stressed or worried. The gestures with her hands show me this as well. Her surroundings are very dull and gloomy, and I also notice that the trees are very ancient, as the bark is peeling off. It is also a very bushy and overgrown area, because of the grass and random plants everywhere.

From Lucia

16. Dear Everyone,
    In this picture the first thing I see are the trees and it looks like a bush. I think the person is feeling tired and I think the person is pregnant. A lady who is pregnant and she can’t find a place to live. It looks like they made the trees bigger on purpose so we can’t see the the lady.

From Neha

17. Hello Everyone,

The first thing my eyes get drawn to is the tree in the front. The tree looks more obvious to me as it seems it is in the fore ground where as the girl looks as if she is in the middle ground. The girl in the picture looks like an adult and I think she is pregnant and it looks to me as if she was talking to her baby. It also looks like she is picking sticks, maybe for a fire. The story behind this picture could be about the environment or about the way people lived back then. I think the placing of tree wasn’t balanced as trees aren’t symmetrical or even. The painter used very pale colours and very similar colours to the ones in real life when he was painting the plants.

Kristen

18. Dear Everyone ,
    This is my answer to the questions

That the women is pregnant and she is carrying a baby
    That she is very classy

I think that she is thinking of how she is going to get out of this out back he is tyed of walking all day and she is hungry.

That she went for a walk and has forgotten he way home and she is trying to find he way back home but she can not she is hungry and tired

19. Hi Bloggers,
    The first thing I noticed about this painting was the person, as the person’s colours were different to the things around the person.

I think the person is just going out to look around and get fresh air as the person doesn’t seem to be doing anything but looking around.

I think the story of this picture might be that the person got tired of doing what ever and decided to go outside for some air.

I noticed that the colours in the picture are kind of dark and there are trees all around the person.

Dan

20. Dear Readers,
    My name is Jack and the first thing that I noticed about the picture is that there is a person in the background, also that this person looks like she is in the bush. I think the person might be lost and looking for the way back. The story of this painting is that the person is lost, I think that because of the title. It gives the story away. Something that I notice about the colours in the painting are that they look so realistic and not like some cartoon. Something that surprises me about this painting is how everything in the painting is in a good spot and the right place to make the painting actually look real.
    From Jack

21. Dear Bloggers,

The first thing that I notice was, the pregnant lady with one hand on her headband the other on her stomach.

I think the person might be thinking that aww I’m so tired this baby keeps on kicking. I think that because she has one hand on her head and one on her pregnant belly.

The picture is of a pregnant lady.

I think the coulors they used really stood out to me. I also think that it was good how they placed the things.

I agree with Jack how every thing is placed well in the picture.

From Alana

22. Dear Bloggers,
    The first thing I realise is that Fredrick McCubin made the painting in a view that was behind the trees and then in the background was a women. I think that the person in the painting seems to be looking at her stomach and also seems pregnant. I think that the story is about the person in the picture is lost in the Australian bush. The reason I can tell it is Australian is because of the ashy green colours of the leaves and the bark peeling off.

From Jessica

23. Dear 4AP
    The first thing I notice is the women in the bushes.

The women looks like she is crying, because she has her hand over her eyes, I think she wondering how to find her way back home.

I think the art work is about a women lost in the bushes.

The colors the artist uses for the surrounding trees are so life like.
    From Mary.k.

24. Dear 5/6VA,
    The first thing I realise about this painting is that the lady is trying to find her way back home. To me she doesn’t look like she is holding a bag since she seems she is having a baby. She also is not able pro find her way back home. The colours they used are the original colours of Australia and it proves that it is the outback of Australia.

Regards,
    Prakashika

25. Dear Bloggers,
    For me, it looks like a women in the bushes. She is lost and crying. From the clothes she is wearing, it looks like it was painted long time a go. The women looks as if she is getting a child. She’s probably from a rich family. The painters had used light colour that makes it look realistic.
    From Sachini

26. Dear Everyone,
    I found some information about Frederick McCubbin’s lost. The painting is about a girl named Clara Crosbie who found in the bushes after she disappeared three weeks earlier. I never new it would be about that and I guess I was wrong about she being pregnant so there are many possible things you can see in a picture.

From Joanne

27. Dear everyone,
    I pretty much notice lots of trees and a lost lady ,the lady looks very classic she might be from a rich family.She also looks like she might be pregnant.The lady might be lost and she might be looking for somewhere to go or she might be having a walk all by her self. For the story of this picture is that maybe she is lost and looking for a home and someone is after her.I liked how they placed out the painting but the colours aren’t that bright but it matches the picture.
    From Molly

28. Dear bloggers,
    I think this picture is about a lady lost in the woods and she lost a hand bag, she had something really important in that hand bag and that’s why she’s crying for.

29. Dear Bloggers,

The first thing I notice is the lady standing in the bushes.

The woman looks like she is carrying a baby in her apron and she looks like she has been crying by what she is doing with her hands.

I think the picture it shows the lady lost in the bushes.

The colours used in this painting make the picture look realistic.

From Bianca

30. Hello Everyone,

I researched the painting and found the lady in the picture was based on a girl named Mary Anne. The girl was actually painted to look lost and she was clutching mistletoe in her apron, maybe she wasn’t pregnant. On another website they said Frederick was inspired by a girl called Clara Crosbie who was 12 and went missing while she was walking through the bush. Clara got lost and couldn’t find her way home. She went missing in 1885 and the painting was said to be painted in 1886. Frederick portrayed Clara with the rugged trees as they tried to trap her. The painting was represented as a colonial fear because people viewed Australia as place where people disappeared. Australia was regarded as being a country on the edge of world and is where unwanted citizens from Britain were sent to disappear.

Websites I viewed:

http://www.artistsfootsteps.com/html/McCubbin_lost.htm

http://soundslikenoise.org/2012/05/26/sound-and-art-listening-to-the-lost-child/

Kristen

31. Dear 4AP,

The first thing I notice about the picture is the lady because she stands out against all the colours around her figure. Also because the colours that are used for her dress and hat are different to it’s surroundings. I also notice that the colours of the leaves in the trees look much like the colour of gum trees in Australia. I might not be exact but I think this painting was illustrated in Australia.

The person might be holding a baby or is pregnant. It could also be a cloth or an apron that she brought up to her chest. She is looking down and it could be because she needed to check something. The lady might have stopped because she was walking and might be lost since there isn’t a path; she’s standing in grass in the middle of trees.

I did a little bit of research of this painting and I found out the girl is someone called Mary Anne, also known as ‘Dolly.’ The story behind it is that Mary is known to be ‘clutching the mistletoe in her apron.’ She is in fact the daughter of Frederick McCubbin, born March 6th 1857. The setting of the scene in this picture is actually used in a couple of paintings. It was used for ‘Gathering Mistletoe’ and ‘A Summer Morning Tiff’. The painting is in companion to ‘Found’ which I think is a painting too.

The website that I looked at was:

Thanks,
    From Sandra.