on “Natural Disasters
43 Comments on “Natural Disasters
  1. Dear Bloggers,
    WHAT HAVE YOU LEARNT ABOUT THE DIFFERENT NATURAL DISASTERS?
    I have learnt a lot about Earth quakes.One of the things that I have learnt is that it’s caused by tectonic plates. when they rube together that surprised me because I never really new how it happens.So that’s one of the things that I learnt about earth quakes.

WHY DO YOU THINK WE LEARN ABOUT THIS IN PRIMARY SCHOOL?
    I think we learn about the different natural disasters because so we know what causes them and what to do if one of these natural disasters happen to us .If we didn’t know about these we wouldn’t know what to do. if one of these natural disasters happened where we lived.Then we could die or get really really injured.

WHAT SURPRISED YOU?
    Earthquakes surprised me because of what it’s caused by and how it happens.The different things that it shows. Such as smell,looks,feels and what you hear when one of these disasters happen.Also the many records that have hit different countries.

WHAT ARE YOU STILL WONDERING ABOUT?
    I’m still wondering about where the biggest earth quake has hit and it’s record.Because I’ve found a lot of records but I don’t know what the biggest earth quake is.Because their a many different records.

From Alana

2. Dear Readers,
    My name is Jack and I’ve learnt lots about natural disaster, the one I’m focusing on is bushfires. I now know that half of the natural disaster are just caused by weather, and the other half are caused by our earth. Each natural disaster is different in its own way, e.g they each are created differently. Earthquakes are caused by two of the tectonic plates rubbing together, but on the other hand, are caused way differently.

We are learning about natural disasters for many different reasons, 1. Natural disasters are fun to learn about, each one holds secrets that you didn’t know about. There’s always something that you don’t know about it, humans will still continue to learn new things about it. 2. If you ever encounter one of these natural disasters you’ll know all its effects and will be prepared for when it comes.

What surprised me the most about about natural disasters is how much damage one can cause. I didn’t that that tsunami’s could get so big, and I didn’t know how much destruction a bush fire could do. What also surprised me was how many fires there are going on in a day. Did you know that there’s a natural disaster going on every day, there not mentioned in the news because there minor. There’s a bush fire and earthquake going on every day.

I’m still wondering if there are any other natural disasters in the world, other than what I’ve learnt.
    – What is the highest tsunamis that has ever hit land?
    – What are the natural disasters that are gong on right now?
    – What is the deadliest tsunamis that’s ever hit?

Yours Sincerely Jack

3. Hello Everyone,

When we started researching natural disasters we were put into groups and researched the same topic. I was put in a group that was researching floods. I learnt about other ways they can occur, other than after heavy rainfall. Some floods occur because of the failure of dams, levees and ice jams (these occur in countries like Canada when large ice areas crack and release the water that was underneath). I also learnt about the different types of floods: slow on-set floods, rapid on-set floods and flash floods.

I think it is important to learn about this at primary school because every child should be aware of the dangers that can occur during a natural disaster. Every child should know what happens around the world and natural disasters happen around the world and it is important for us to understand that things like this can happen anywhere, anytime.

I found out that floods can happen because of ice jams. I didn’t know what an ice jam was and then I researched it and it was surprising because I never knew something like that existed. I also found out that cyclones always spin anti clockwise. I found out about this because when we shared our research and the person in my group that researched cyclones said they always spin anti clockwise. If found this surprising because I thought they could spin in any direction.

I am now wondering what it’s like to be in a flood and survive it? I want to find this out because you hear it on the news and you never know how it really feels until you experience it and I think this would help me understand my research even more.

Kristen

• Hi Kristen,

Sounds like you did some great research Kristen, I haven’t heard of ice-jam floods so I’ve now learnt something from you as well. Maybe research whether cyclones do only spin anti-clockwise. I think you’ll find that’s not quite the whole story!

Miss Ash

• Hi Miss Ash,

I did research which way cyclones spin and I found out that cyclones that have formed in the Southern Hemisphere spin clockwise but, if they have formed in the Northern Hemisphere they spin anti clockwise. Did you know that cyclones don’t form on the equator.

Kristen

• Good job Kristen, you might want to share that information with Tass as he was also under the impression that cyclone only spin one way. Actually you might have to address the whole community as it seems that misconception has been passed on during the jigsaw activity!
          Miss Ash

• Dear Kristen,
          I never knew that cyclones can turn anticlockwise, I didn’t even know which way they even spin. It’s really interesting that cyclones spin in different directions in different areas. I didn’t even know that they don’t form on the equator. What I really want to know why doesn’t it occur on the equator and do cyclones mostly occur on the ring of fire?

Regards,
          Prakashika

• Dear Kristen,
      First of all I didn’t know what an ice jam was until you told me and I have been in a small flood and what happened was I was in Sri Lanka and me and my family was in the car stuck in traffic and it was raining and we were next to a river so the water coming into the road and on my brothers side of the car the carpet was a bit damp but fortunately the rain was going away and the traffic was also going away.

From Joanne

4. I learnt that natural disasters can occur all over the world and can cause unbelievable damage. We also learnt that there are many different types of natural disasters; floods, cyclones, tsunamis, earthquakes, droughts, volcanic eruptions, landslides and bush fires. I never knew that one thing could cause so much damage.

We learn about these at primary school so that when we get older and watch the news every day we understand what happens and the amount of destruction it’s caused. Also, when we go to high school we will probably need to know about these things in case it effects us.

I didn’t know that natural disasters could cause so much damage. I had no idea that so many people could get injured or killed. I was also surprised when I found out how many different natural disasters there are.

I’m still wondering about why some countries have different names for some natural disasters.

From Perry

5. Dear Bloggers,

I have learnt that natural disasters are very destructive and deadly. Most natural disasters kill hundreds of people and destroy homes. Some of these things happen on a island where no one lives and maybe a earthquake happens there. Some natural disasters are earthquakes, landslides, volcanic eruptions, tsunamis, droughts and floods.

I think we learnt this in primary school because when we are an adults or teenagers we will know how to survive and where to live. We can see if we are on the edge of a tech tonic plate or if we live in a fire prone area, and where to stay if something does happen and to know that bad things happen if we light a bush fire.

The thing I am most surprised about is how much damage natural disasters cause and how many people have to evacuate their homes. Also natural disasters can just happen over one night.I was surprised that floods can rise in a night, a day or a week.

I am wondering about how?
    -what was the biggest natural disaster
    -what was the most powerful cyclone

by Caleb

6. Dear 4VA

What I learnt about drought.

Drought happens in the northern hemisphere and southern hemisphere

We learnt about natural disasters in primary school so we know how to avoid disaster and know not to start a bushfire and landslides.Drought can also start or cause heat waves and start bushfires.

I’m surprised by how big a bushfire be or tsunami.

I’m wondering what causes a volcano to erupted.

From andrew3

• Dear Andrew3
      I can answer your question on how a volcanic eruption occurs.It occurs when the two tectonic plates rub together then it hits the crust of the earth and that is how a volcanic eruption occurs.

From:Elli

7. Dear bloggers,

I learnt that the tectonic plates move all the continents into different places. I also learnt that a lot of countries will sink under water in 100 million years. If we don’t treat our earth properly natural disasters will occur all the time. I also learnt that the sun causes a lot of bush-fires.

I think we learn about natural disasters in primary school because when we are older we need to stay safe in a natural disaster. We also need to learn about it for high school.

I was surprised that bushfires can spread a lot. I also learnt that a seismograph measures the size of earth quakes. I Also was surprised that the centre of a cyclone is called the eye.

I’m still wondering about where does lava in volcanos come from? And why do tectonic plates move around? I also am wondering why is the centre of a cyclone called the eye.

From Taylah

• Dear Taylah,
      You have great information and it will be great for people who are interested in natural disasters but also lava comes from magma which is deep in the earth usually in the ring of fire so when it comes out it comes out as lava.

From Joanne

• Dear Taylah,

The possibility of many countries sinking, isn’t a very good one at all! Luckily, we won’t be alive by then, but it’s just too bad for the people down the track that are! Also, bush fires are suspected a lot to be caused by really stupid people who get their kicks out of seeing fire! I think the sun also helps the fire keep going, because obviously if it was really dull weather, the fire may have died down or not been as severe! Unfortunately, I can not answer any of your questions, as I do not have any explanations for them. But it may be something you could consider perhaps researching!

From Lucia

8. Dear bloggers

I have learnt that volcanic eruptions cause smoke and make a little lightning storm, I have also learnt more about what they look inside. I have learnt about earthquakes and how they measure how strong it is using a seismograph. I have also learnt that earthquakes cause tsunami if the earthquake happens in the water. I learnt tsunami can destroy lots of building and is able to take down a city in one wave.

I think that we learn about natural disasters in primary school because we would know a bit more in high school. Also when we are adults we would know what the dangers are and what to do to get out.we would also be able to teach others on what the dangers are and how to get out.

The things that surprised me were how much damage each disaster causes. I was also surprised about Victoria has volcanos. I was surprised that if an earthquake was in the sea in would make a tsunami. Also that bush fires can be started in many different ways

I am still wondering if there can be different types of volcanic eruptions. I am also if the earthquakes cause more damage if the earthquake is near the crust of the earth.

By Evan

9. Dear bloggers,
    This term we have been learning about different natural disasters I’m going to be telling you all the things I know about natural disasters.

What have you learnt about different natural disasters?
    I’ve learnt that natural disasters are as worst as we think they are. I’ve learnt the causes for natural disasters for example a volcanic eruption is causes by the tectonic plates rubbing against each other then it hits the earths crust.Ive also learnt that a landslide happens if a hill is 5 metres or higher.

Why do you think we learn about natural disasters in primary school?
    I think we learn about natural disasters in primary school because when were older and a natural disaster happens were we live we will know what damage it will do and will know how to get out of it.And when we are older we will be more aware if natural disasters happen when were older.

What surprised you?
    The thing that surprised me about Natural disasters is that some disasters that occur are not all natural disasters they could be a man made disaster. And that natural disasters have more than one reason to occurring.

What are you still wondering about?
    I’m still wondering about what sort of disasters are man made or made from the earth.And I’m also still wondering about how and why avalanche occurs.

From Elli

10. Dear, Bloggers

I have learnt a lot about earthquakes.One of the things that I have learnt is that its caused by tectonic plates.They rub together that surprised me because I never really knew how an earthquake was caused.

Why do you think we learn about these at primary school?
    I think we learn about different natural disasters, so that we know what causes them and what to do if one of these natural disasters occurred where we lived. If we didn’t learn about these in school.

What surprised you?
    A lot of these disasters surprised me because of what it’s caused by and how it happens.Also the different things that it shows, such as smells,looks,feels and what you hear when these disasters happen. Also the many records that have hit different countries.

What are you still wondering about?
    I’m still wondering about where the biggest earth quake has hit and it’s record.Because I’ve found a lot of records but I don’t know what the biggest earth quake is.Their are many different records in many different countries.

From Alana

11. Dear Readers,

I have learnt a lot about natural disasters this term.I found out that a tsunami is caused by an earthquake under the ocean, earthquakes are caused by tectonic plates rubbing against each other. A volcanic eruption has it’s on storm in side it and bush fires can spread because ember from the fire get carried by the wind and sets fie everywhere.

We learn about natural disasters at primary school because we will some understanding of what will happen if a natural disaster did hit in the future. Also we will know the consequences of what will happen during the disaster.

What surprised me was how much I wrote on my sheet about different disasters. I also found out that volcanic eruptions have their own storm inside it.

I am still wondering where landslides are more commonly hit.

12. Dear Bloggers,

I learnt many things about natural disasters, but the one I focused on was landslides. One of the things I learnt is that there are five types of landslides. They are slide, fall, topple, spread and flow. Before researching, I didn’t know much about them at all. After researching, I knew heaps! Natural disasters isn’t really a thing I wanted to learn, because it didn’t interest me. Even after researching and discovering lots of things about landslides, I still think it’s not something that I’d want to learn EVEN MORE about.

Personally, I think it’s a good thing we learn about natural disasters in primary school because it’s important for us to be aware of what could happen around us. We need to know all the dangers of each natural disaster and what to do in the case of a natural disaster.

I don’t think anything I came across when researching surprised me. Personally, I think you can expect almost anything when it comes to natural disasters.

Something that I’m still wondering is why cyclones have names and how they get their names.

From Lucia

13. Dear Bloggers

•What have you learnt about different natural disasters?

There are a lot of things I’ve learnt about, and one of them are ice jams. Ice jams can cause flooding when lots of water can be blocked with ice from going into the rest of a river, but this usually happens in arctic areas, not Australia.
    When I was researching i was put in the flood group so learning about ice jams was a large part in knowing more about floods.

•Why do you think we should learn this in primary school?

Students learn about natural disasters in primary school so incase of a natural disaster they know the cause and effects of natural disasters e.g Landslides or Earthquakes. I also think students should learn about natural disasters as it can increase their general knowledge about weather.

•What surprised you?

What surprised me is that if a bushfire burns long enough it turns into a fire storm which will not need things to burn off ,like trees and grass. The only requirement it needs is oxygen as fire needs oxygen to burn.

•What are you still wondering?

What I’m still wondering is if there are such things as “miracle disasters”. What I mean is for example a massive drought, then it starts to rain heavily, but it doesn’t turn into a flood as the ground needs to absorb the water.

From Rob.

14. Dear bloggers,

I learnt that the tectonic plates move all the continents into different places. I also learnt that a lot of countries will sink under water in 100 million years. If we don’t treat our earth properly natural disasters will occur all the time. I also learnt that the sun causes a lot of bush-fires. Sometimes droughts can cause land fall and bush-fires.

I think we learn about natural disasters in primary school because when we are older we need to stay safe in a natural disaster. We also need to learn about it because you could really get injured during a natural disaster. If we don’t learn about natural disasters we will not be aware about what a bush fire can do and we might think its funny and start one or even encourage others to.

I was surprised that bushfires can spread a lot. I also learnt that a seismograph measures the size of earth quakes. I Also was surprised that the centre of a cyclone is called the eye.i also didn’t know that lava takes a long time to spread.

I’m still wondering about where does lava in volcanos come from? And why do tectonic plates move around? I also am wondering why is the centre of a cyclone called the eye.Also what causes droughts and how does rain fix the problem like does it just automatically flourish when the soil gets wet or does it go through a process.

From Taylah

15. Hi Bloggers,

I have learnt that some disasters can cause other disasters to happen, like an earthquake can cause a Tsunami, or a Cyclone can cause heavy rain which can cause a flood. I also learnt that some disasters have something to do with the tectonic plates, Like earthquakes and volcanic eruption.

I think we need to learn about natural disasters in primary school so kids will maybe be prepared for one if it were to happen near them. Or maybe learn more about it in the future. I also think it’s fun to find out thing about natural disasters.

I was surprised that there were this much disasters, and how often they can occur small or big disaster. Some occur in some places more than others, like in the ring of fire natural disasters occur more In it.

I’m still wondering about a few things like, will the time take to rebuild take longer or faster if different natural disasters occur?

16. Dear everyone,
    This some information about volcanoes
    Volcanoes- volcanoes erupt or appear when the tonic plates in the ground rub against each other and the magma goes so high it erupts in the volcano. The volcanoes mostly are in the ring of fire because that is where the hottest part of the earth.
    From Joanne

17. Dear 4AP

When we started natural disasters we got put into groups. When were in our groups the teachers told us which disaster we had to research. The groupe I was in was drought.

I leant that drought can cause heatwaves and start bushfires if there is not enough water that could cause the land to go dry. Some country’s have strict water usage and other country’s have water usage aswell. There dig a hole and put water in there so they have some water.

From Andrew3

18. Dear Bloggers,

I have learnt so many things about natural disasters such as: earthquakes usually occur in the ‘Ring of Fire’, a cyclone can turn clockwise or anti-clockwise. I never actually heard of the ‘Ring of Fire’ until someone told me a few weeks ago! I also learnt that a landslide can happen when the slope/cliff is weak and is unable to support it self.

I believe we learn about natural disasters because if any of these disasters happen, we will know what to do. We can save our lives and others if we know what these natural disasters are. Although we might learn this when we are older, it is better if we know about natural disasters when we are in primary school.

I was really surprised that in a bushfire, and if there is a huge wind, the wind will spread the embers and start another fire. Now I know how a small fire can turn into a HUGE fire!

From:Cecilia

19. Dear 5/6VA,

I learnt that landslides mostly happen by gravity or the land underneath gets too wet that it just slips. A landslide can also be called a landslip. In Australia landslides normally occur in Sydney NSW but can happen anywhere in Australia or even around the world.

So that we understand how the people are affected by these disasters and know the pain they feel after it has happened. We also know what will majorly happen if we are in this situation, all the students will know how to protect ourselves, families and even animals.

What surprised you?

That landslides can happen by the cause of gravity and are also called landslips. Also the biggest landslide that happened killed 1.2 million people and it happened in China. Most Australian landslides happen in NSW but can happen anywhere. The biggest landslide in Australia was the Thredbo Landslide.

What are you still wondering about?

What is the difference between a avalanche and a landslide,

Regards,
    Prakashika

• Hi Prakashika, I’m not sure what the official definitions are but an avalanche is when a mass of snow shifts and then falls away down a steep slope where as a landslide is when land or earth falls away on a slope.
      Miss Ash

• Dear Miss Ash,
        Thanks for the meaning I thought that avalanches and landslides are the same thing except avalanche is snow falling and a landslide is just earth. I thought it would be exactly the same but with different materials that are falling.

Regards,
        Prakashika

• Dear Prakashika,
      You have answered a lot of questions for me about landslides because I don’t know that much about them but the difference between landslides and avalanches is that an avalanche is with snow and a landslide is with earth.
      From Joanne.

20. Dear Bloggers,
    I learnt that if tectonic plates hit the Earth crust it creates a volcanic eruption, it happens in areas where rocks are melting underground. Landslides happens when earth, rock and debri combine together. I leant that the centre of a cyclone or the “eye” is usually calm in a cyclone.

We are learning natural disaster in primary schools because we need to know the effect and consequences of a natural disasters. We also learn about natural disasters because it is really interesting to learn.

I was surprised that earthquakes can trigger so many other natural disasters. I am also surprised that all these natural disasters can cause so much damage.

I am still wondering when and where the biggest flood. I am still wondering what is the biggest earthquake.

From Jamie

21. Dear 4va

I have learnt so many things about natural disasters. I have learnt that cyclones only spin clockwise, that there are many different kinds of floods such as flash, slow and fast. That lava is not the only thing that kills people in volcanic eruptions.

I think we are learning about natural disasters in primary school so we know if we are caught in one we can escape. We are also learning about natural disasters because if one of us wants to be a rescue officer in the future they know how to save people. We are also learning it so we know what’s going on in the outside world like in other countries or even here in Australia.

A couple things that surprised me are that lava Isn’t the only thing that kills you it’s the smoke and the flying rocks. One other thing that surprises me is that how fast the wind goes in cyclones because the wind goes from 400 – 800 miles per hour. The last thing that surprised me is that cyclones only spin clockwise.

I’m still wondering about what if I was caught in one and none knows were I am will I just die because none is there and if not how will the rescuers know were I am how will I get out if I’m surrounded by lava because I’m wondering if your alone and you get caught in a natural disaster are you gone or is there a chance to get out.

From Tass

• Hi Tass, Are you sure cyclones only spin clockwise? I think that you should do some research and check this out. It seems a few people are confused about whether they spin clockwise or anti-clockwise.
      Miss Ash

22. Dear 4AP,

Why do you think you learn this in primary school?

To learn the consequences that might happen to you when your older. To learn what can happen and what you should do in a natural disaster instead of running and panicing.

What have you learnt?

I have learnt how that natural disaster can occur, what that natural disaster can cause and how it effects people in a natural disaster. Another thing I learnt is how devastating a natural disaster can become for e.g. A earthquake can be really strong and wreck huge parts of the place it hits.

What surprises you

The natural disasters for e.g. A volcanic eruption can make lightning in all the dark fog while it’s shooting out all the poisonous air.

From Jayce

• Dear Jayce,
      It looks like you know alot about these different natural disasters.
      But do you know how you said we have to learn the consequences because it might happen to us, what kind of consequences?

From Alana

23. Dear Readers,

– What is the highest tsunami that has ever hit land?

Back to bush fires, what I’ve learnt about bush fires are all the different ways that they can start. The first way is called Firebugs: Firebugs are people that purposely go into the forest to light fires. If you are caught doing something like that then it could mean years in prison, YEARS IN PRISON. Another way that a fire can start is campers: Sometimes when campers go camping they light fires, but a fire can sometimes go crazy and catch on to other things and then catch on to other things. Then in less than a minute the fires out of control.

Yours Sincerely Jack 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

24. Dear everyone

This what I learned about natural disasters this term

When we first started our groups i started to focus on floods so I can learn more about them. When i heard about droughts I did not know what it was but in the end I learned that they are when rivers dry out in dry areas and cracks in dry areas.

I think that it was good learning about natural disasters because I increased my knowledge on natural disasters and I learned what causes them. I think it is a good idea for children in primary school so they don’t struggle in high school learning it a hard way.

From Jayden

25. Dear Everyone,

This is what I know about natural disasters,

I have learnt that most natural disasters occur differently. My allocated disaster was drought, and I learnt that no-one can survive in a drought for more that two weeks. There is always a long recovery after a disaster happens and that it effects a whole nation. Most causes to a natural disaster are from lots of rainfall, heavy currents, lack of rainfall, earth vibration, etc.

We learn about these in primary school so that we are aware of the dangers at a young age and to pass the knowledge to people; teach them. We also learn about natural disasters at primary school because there could be disasters happening or have happened.

What surprised me was that there were a lot of things about natural disasters that I didn’t know. The way they occur, they way they destruct, how they are formed, all sorts of things. There are about 8 different disasters that I’ve been learning about and they are all fascinating.

I don’t have much wonderings, but I really want to know the record for the worst natural disaster that has ever occurred.

From Sandra.

• Dear Sandera,
      It looks like you know alot about these many different natural disasters.
      I’d also really want to know about the worst natural disaster and it’s record.

From Alana

• With this many people interested maybe you should do some research? But what would make it the worst disaster? Would it be the number of lives lost? Amount of property lost? Cost of recovery – to the country?

26. Dear Bloggers,

I learnt that all the natural disasters are all very destructive and deadly. I also learnt that most of them happen in Australia. I learnt that most of them have different names eg: tornado twister.

We learn about natural disasters in primary school because if there is one in our area or going to happen in our area we will know what to do. If we don’t we might BE the ones starting it or putting ourselves in danger.

What surprised me is that most of the time people are the ones starting bush fires. They are dumb to do that because they kill people ruin homes and the bush.

I’m still wondering if a drought is caused by no rain why isn’t there rain?
    From jack.