I am, You are, We Are Australian!

These are the words News Ltd website readers used to describe what was great about being Australian.

http://www.thepunch.com.au/articles/take-our-alternative-australian-citizenship-test/

What is National Identity?

Have a look at the activities on this page, you can work through them with abuddy if you need to understand National Identity better.

http://we-are-australian.wikispaces.com/Activity+1

What is Australia’s National Identity to you and what does it say about people who are Australian?

Is there a ‘typical’ Australian? If so, how would you describe this person? If not, why not?

Are Australians really different from other peoples? If so, what are the main elements of this ‘difference’?

How are Australians the same?

What are the common important beliefs and activities that keep Australians together?

Where do you see variety and diversity in the Australian people?

Have a read of these for some ideas….

http://spinneypress.com.au/books/australian-national-identity/

http://australia.gov.au/about-australia/australian-stories/australian-identity

http://www.ethics.org.au/ethics-articles/australian-identity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt60-pHAh_o

Some questions to think about…

• What do ‘The Australians’ look like?
  • What is/are the language/s of ‘The Australians’ like?
  • What religions and customs do they practise?
  • What work and activities do ‘The Australians’ like to do?
  • How do ‘The Australians’ rule themselves?
  • What do ‘The Australians’ believe in and value as people?

on “I am, You are, We Are Australian!
22 Comments on “I am, You are, We Are Australian!
  1. Dear Bloggers,
    I think that being Australian is a great thing because we have freedom of speech,great weather and great people. We also have a very interesting Background involving aboriginals and English people,we are also a very young country.
    If I were to describe a typical Australian I would say shorts,singlets and thongs. Australians are not very different from other people even though most of them would wear different clothes. In Australia there are many different cultures which makes us kind of different.

From Taylah

2. Hello Everyone,

An Australian isn’t someone that has a funny accent. An Australian isn’t someone who uses the language ‘G’day mate’. An Australian isn’t someone who is serious about AFL. An Australian isn’t someone who wears shorts, thongs and singlet in winter. An Australian is someone who believes they’re Australian. This doesn’t mean that just because someone is born here is an Australian. Being Australian means you like being Australian, you enjoy being Australian, you are an Australian. I may not speak like a ‘traditional’ Australian, but I believe I am and I like being Australian. This doesn’t mean there is no such thing as a true Australian, because there is. A true Australian is someone who believes they’re Australian and there is nothing else to it. Being Australian is being an Australian. It doesn’t matter where you come from or what kind of language you use because everyone is an Australian no matter what.

Kristen

3. Dear Bloggers,

An Australian is not someone who is different from everyone else. An Australian isn’t someone that goes surfing every week. An Australian is not someone that where thongs, shorts and a singlet in winter. An Australian is someone who believes in themselves of their ability. An Australian is not someone that goes to every AFL match. An Australian is someone who believes in them-self. An Australian is someone who has respect. An Australian is someone that is fair.Australian is someone who is free.

From Perry

4. To me a National Identity is the common way in which people of a Nation see themselves combined with the way people from other countries also see them.
    A big influence on developing a National Identity, particularly before global travel and the internet, was the songs and poetry written about what life was actually like in Australia. Artwork also has a huge influence. I think Banjo Patterson is one of the greatest contributors to developing Australia’s National Identity. He wrote about everyday Australian lives and then when Australia joined World War 1 his songs were sung by Australians and united them while they were overseas in the worst possible conditions.

The way we act overseas also contributes. Australia’s National Identity was strongly defined during the war. We became known for our sense of humour, our ‘larrikinism’ and our ability to laugh at ourselves. This isn’t something all nations do and I didn’t even realise how Aussie this was until I went overseas! We also became known for our ‘mateship’, in Australia there wasn’t a huge class divide so the officers and general soldiers looked out for each other regardless of their ranks, or which state they were from (before Federation each state saw itself as a little country in itself but Federation and the Wars helped us work together as a Nation).

We also became known for our ANZAC Spirit in itself – the ‘never say die, keep persisting, be fair, do you job and do it well then sit back and enjoy the fact that you are still alive’ attitude and of course the ANZAC biscuit is a strong symbol of Aussie-ism!

Our accent and our colloquial language also defines us especially when we are overseas. No one in the UK uses ‘avo’ for afternoon and I never realised how much we shorten words til I lived there. And no one in the UK and understand how we can call hot chips and packet chips all ‘chips’ and not get confused.

I also agree with what Steve Price said the other day on The Project, that Australians are friendly. Yes lots of Nations are friendly but when I lived overseas I notice a big difference about the way Australians behaved when they met new people and the only other nation I noticed that did the same thing were the Irish. It wasn’t a surprise to me that many Aussies become good friends with the Irish and that the Irish like living in Australia because they share the same attitude of talking to new people and making new friends. We don’t see a need to limit the number of friends we have – the more the merrier- and that isn’t always the case for other nations. I can remember a teacher in Britain saying in the staffroom that she didn’t need new friends, she had plenty already! I was gobsmacked (now that’s an Aussie word), how could you EVER have ENOUGH friends!!!

Advertising and tourism also play a huge part. Beer ads are particularly brilliant at getting the Aussie culture generalised. I’ll always remember the ‘I believe’ Foster ad with the proud statement ‘I sit in the front seat of the taxi’ because yes that is an AUSSIE thing. In Britain you not even ALLOWED to sit in the front with the taxi driver and the British wouldn’t dream of having a nice chat with the driver!

Just because not all Aussies have the same cultural background doesn’t mean they don’t identify with all this. Another feature of the Aussie identity is that it isn’t about your race or your culture, about whether you can swim or wear thongs on your feet, about putting snags on the BBQ or sitting in the front seat of the taxi, it’s about belonging to a Nation where all that is possible and calling yourself Aussie cos you’re proud to live DownUnder!

5. Dear Bloggers,

Australia is a great country because every one has the right to say anything. We also are a very young country and have lots of really interesting cultures.
    If i were to describe a typical Australian, I think of us wearing shorts, T-shirts and thongs. I think we are different from many other countries because a lot of those people from those country’s wear a lot of different clothes and they have different celebrations to us. Australians are not all the same because we all are from different country’s originally that have come together. We have a lots of multiculturalism here in Australia.

From Alana

• Dear Alana,

You’re correct because we all have freedom of speech and our country is still very new.
      That’s a typical Australian for you! We all wear different clothes and we do have different cultures and celebrations. We are also a country that was brought together from all different cultures and formed a nation. Australia is all multicultural too. I totally agree with your comment

From Sandra.

6. Dear Bloggers,
    I think that Australia is a multicultural country and a beautiful place to live in.
    If I was to describe Australians I would say shorts, singlets and thongs. I think Australia is no different from other people because a lot of people from other country’s have came to Australia. Australia is not the same because we are a multicultural country. I see diversity every where in Australia in my street in our city every where.

From Elli

7. Dear Bloggers,

There are many definitions of Australian identity, but I personally think that australia hasn’t really got a true identity, as we are all from all over the world and Australia was originally founded by the English. I think Australians are very different, as Australia is a country of mixed culture and religions, although we are all still linked in some way. For example, all Australians follow the same sort of laws and we all have the same right to freedom! Australians are aren’t very different to other people from all over the world, because we are all human and all have similar features, but there still is a difference between our actual country and other countries. Like, Australia has different religions and beliefs and also freedom of speech, which some other countries don’t have. Australia doesn’t really have a ‘type’ of person, because like I said there are so many mixed cultures,beliefs,types of people and personalities, so we don’t have one specific ‘type’ of person!

From Lucia

• A very interesting perspective Lucia. I wonder if I do feel Australian because I do fit into the typically generalised description of an Aussie – I’m of English background, wear thongs in Summer and spend a lot of time on the beach, love to laugh and enjoy a BBQ with my friends and family regularly and even lived in an area where there were kangaroos in the backyard! I wonder if the typically person described by our tourism campaigns only feels relevent to people like me? If you aren’t the same as that description do you see it as relevant?

8. Dear Bloggers,
    There are many Australian values like fair go or an adventurous spirit or even the environment. The open spaces, the blue skies will always stand a reminder as how lucky we are. The freedom we have to speak, to choose governments or to travel. There are two ways of imagining Australia to, firstly Aboriginals & Torres Strait Islander, secondly Multiculturalism Australia.

From Jamie

9. Dear Bloggers,

I think that Australian identity is the things that we have a no one else has it like Australia has AFL which no other country has as a sport. We also have landmarks that makes Australia special like The Great Barrier Reef. Australia is made up of lots of people from all around the world some country’s don’t have lots of people who live in there country from all around the world. Some of the things that make Australia Australia are; landmarks, beer, AFL, Freedom of Speech, weather, and BBQs!

By Caleb

10. Dear readers,

Australians look like guys in shorts and t shirts.Australians speak like gooday mate, oy and barbie.The religion that most Australians are is Christian.Australians also like to play sports like football on the beach.

From Tass

11. Australians

Dear Bloggers,

An Australian is not someone who is different from everyone else. An Australian isn’t someone that goes surfing every week. An Australian is not someone that where thongs, shorts and a singlet in winter. An Australian is someone who believes in themselves and be kind of their ability. An Australian is not someone that goes to every soccer match. An Australian is someone who believes in them-self. An Australian is someone who has respect. An Australian is someone that is kind and fair.Australian is someone who is free.
    And freedom.

From Ivo

12. Dear 4AP,

Their is no typical Australian because we have many nations who combined as one. I think all Australians are different from each other because we all have different personalities and Ideas. Australians can be the same by cheering on the same thing and eating the same thing. The common belief that keeps Australians together is Afl which most Is the most popular Australian post. I see variety in people in shops, stores and even at home, either at their tv choosing a channel or a store choosing different clothes.

From Jayce

13. Dear everyone

I think most Australians look like friendly people, speak english , catholic and like going bush walking and like having barbecues and Australia is a free country .

From Jayden

14. Dear Class,

I think a true australian is someone who wants to be or believes he or her is australian. A true australian doesnt have to talk as if he or her has an accent.
    An australian is someone who believes they are australian not someone who wears, talks, or acts australian.

From Tristan

• Another good perspective Tristan and I do agree to some extent. I think the believing in being an Aussie is HUGE, only those that want to be Australian can identify with any National Identity that we develop but I also think things like colloqualisms, accent, clothing, lifestyle, values etc are important. We may not identify with all of them, we may even only identify with one but it’s the wanting to be part of that description that makes it still relevant. For example, even if you don’t spend all your time at the beach you may identify with that being Australian because here in Australia that is a possability if not when you are a child its a lifestyle chioce you can make when you are older! And who would be proud of how beautiful our bush is…even if you personally haven’t had much exposure to it…it will be there when you are older and want to go hiking and camping (hopefully)!

15. Dear Bloggers,

I think Australians are people who came to Australia from different countries and come together to share their stories and that they can scream out that they are Australian. Being an Australian does not mean being a person who’s ancestors lived for many years in Australia, it means to come together and are proud that they are Australian. Just because you have an Australian accent, it does not mean that you are a true Australian.

16. Dear Bloggers,
    Australian isn’t a unfair country because they have their rights to speak. Being Australian isn’t about being talking in Australian accent or wearing summer clothes in the winter.It isn’t about being born in Austalia,it’s about living up to be an Australian and being from all different nations.

From Jessica