We are Years 3 and 4 students at Woolamingi Primary School. We have some good ideas that we would like your class to discuss.
We think they are such good ideas that we are taking them to our local Member of Parliament, Mary Koukadis. We are going to ask her if she will present them to parliament so that they can become new laws. If you think these are good ideas please let us know.
- During School hours students must wear hats when they are outside school buildings
- Students must have two weeks of swimming lessons when they are in primary school
- Each student will be given an ice-cream every day
- All students must do an hour of homework a day
- No television is to be watched at school
- Children must pass a bike riding test before being allowed to ride a bike
- No homework is to be given at weekends or in school holidays
- Students should start school on the Monday after their 6th birthday
- Students must not bring glass bottles to school
Years 3 and 4
Woolamingi Primary School
Discuss these laws as a group.
Why might be good about this law?
What might be bad about this law?
Who would follow this law?
Which groups in the community should be asked about this law? Why?
Who would like this law (parents, teachers, students)? Why?
Will the law be better for some peple than for others? If yes, in what way?
What would happen if teh law was broken?
Report Back to the class via this post!
Perhaps each person in your group can comment on two ideas. Perhaps one that you agreed was a good idea for a rule and one that you thought wasn’t a good idea for a rule.
the benefit of the law (such as groups that it would be best for and groups in would not be good for)?
the fairness of the law (does it harm people unjustly)?
which groups in the community should have a say in the planning of the law?
how well might it work?
the good things it might provide?
changes to the idea that would make it an even better law?