Would these ideas make a good law?

Dear 4AP,

We are Years 3 and 4 students at Woolamingi Primary School. We have some good ideas that we would like your class to discuss.

We think they are such good ideas that we are taking them to our local Member of Parliament, Mary Koukadis. We are going to ask her if she will present them to parliament so that they can become new laws. If you think these are good ideas please let us know.

• During School hours students must wear hats when they are outside school buildings
  • Students must have two weeks of swimming lessons when they are in primary school
  • Each student will be given an ice-cream every day
  • All students must do an hour of homework a day
  • No television is to be watched at school
  • Children must pass a bike riding test before being allowed to ride a bike
  • No homework is to be given at weekends or in school holidays
  • Students should start school on the Monday after their 6th birthday
  • Students must not bring glass bottles to school

Regards

Years 3 and 4

Woolamingi Primary School

Discuss these laws as a group.

Why might be good about this law?

What might be bad about this law?

Who would follow this law?

Which groups in the community should be asked about this law? Why?

Who would like this law (parents, teachers, students)? Why?

Will the law be better for some peple than for others? If yes, in what way?

What would happen if teh law was broken?

Report Back to the class via this post!

Perhaps each person in your group can comment on two ideas. Perhaps one that you agreed was a good idea for a rule and one that you thought wasn’t a good idea for a rule.

Comment on…

• the benefit of the law (such as groups that it would be best for and groups in would not be good for)?

• the fairness of the law (does it harm people unjustly)?

• which groups in the community should have a say in the planning of the law?

• how well might it work?

• the good things it might provide?

• changes to the idea that would make it an even better law?

Photo Credit: /\ \/\/ /\ via Compfight

on “Would these ideas make a good law?
31 Comments on “Would these ideas make a good law?
  1. Dear 4AP

A way to improve the law about every student having an ice cream a day is that you should only have ice creams a day in summer.Having an ice cream on summer will help students become cooled down on an extremely hot day, instead of having an ice cream in the winter which can make you very sick especially on a cold day.

This law benefits the ice cream making companies as they will make have to make a lot of ice cream a day in the summer. A disadvantage of having an ice cream a day in summer is that the Government will have to spend then 6 million dollars for more then 3 million students students in Australia.

This law doesn’t really harm anyone but the Government because he has to spend a lot of money a year on ice creams. The groups that should have a say are the ice cream company’s and the states. The people who would like this law are the students because they can have a refreshing treat for the whole week in summer.This law will be better for students because they can have an ice cream and no get hot. If the law was broken the student or students family will have to pay $2 to the Government for breaking the law.

By Jayce

2. Dear Bloggers,

Students must have an ice cream every day

I think that every student having ice cream every day would benefit on ice cream companies because they will make heaps more money. This law is unfair for schools that can’t afford them and schools that are located in places that snow a lot.The people that will have a say in this law are the ice cream companies.This law might not work if there is not enough ice cream companies to support every school,also we will have ALOT of sick kids. When every student gets an ice cream this will provide more money for ice cream companies and a smile on our faces!
    To make this law better we should only have an ice cream three times a week(On the three days that are the most hottest of the school week).

Students must do homework for an hour a day

I think students having to do homework for an hour a day has a benefit on after school activities that students do because they might have to miss out on them. This law is unfair to students that are really committed to after school activities. The people that have a say on this law will be teachers,parents and people that own well known after school programs. This law might not work if the after school program’s lose a lot of money and decide to stop this law. This law will provide a better education for kids struggling during school hours. To make this law better students that do after school programs should have some time to do some home work during class.
    From Taylah

• Dear Taylah,
      I agree with how you changed both laws even though I do like ice cream but we also need to think what’s good for us so I agree that we should have ice cream on the three hottest days of the week.

From Joanne

3. Dear bloggers,

The benefit of the law about children starting at 6 years old on the Monday are that they could have more discipline when they come to school and they would know what is wrong and what is right.I don’t think that this law will harm people. I think the people that should be involved should be parents and teachers.I think this law will work well. Some of the good things that this law might provide are the students could learn more because they have more discipline. Maybe some changes could be that they should start at the start of the year they turn six.

The law that students should not bring glass bottles to school is a wonderful idea I believe this because glass bottles are very fragile and could harm students.The benefit of this is that children will not get hurt. This is a fair law and it will not harm the students. I believe that the teachers, parents and the police should have a say. I believe that this law will work well and then students will not get harmed. The good thing that it will provide is no one will get harmed. I don’t think you would need to change the law because it is a very good one.

From Evan

• Dear Evan,

I agree that students are not allowed to bring glass bottles because it stops students from getting cuts and bruises. Especially when young children are not careful when they are carrying heavy, glass bottles.

From, Cecilia

4. Dear Year 3 and 4 students of Woolamingi Primary School,

For the first idea, the good thing about this is that wearing hats when we are outside school buildings, we have a less chance of having skin cancer and dry skin.Parents would like this law because wearing hats can protect their child(ren).Although, wearing a hat during Winter does not help us when we are in a cold, chilly season.Hats are only useful for Winter when they keep our heads warm.

The good thing about the having no homework given out at weekends and in school holidays is that students have time to rest and to have time to enjoy their weekend or school holidays. The people who would like this law the most is the students because they can relax and they have time to do recreational activities and to have time to spend more time talking to their family. The bad thing about this new idea is that students need homework during the weekend and the school holidays to have a revision on the things that they have learnt at school. Parents may think this is a bad idea because their child(ren) are playing games for a huge amount of time and are not even doing a page of homework at home if this is a law. In my opinion, there should be homework at weekends and school holidays so students do not forget what they have learnt at school.

The last idea I want to talk about is no television is to be watched at school. This is a great idea because it does not distract students when they are doing their work or test. The people who would like this idea for teachers because their students are not being distracted in class,but there is a bad thing about this. Television might be allowed to be watched at school for learning because you can put the news on so the students know more about what is happening around the world.

From: Cecilia

5. Hello 4AP

The bad law is for kids to go to school after there 6th birthday and start there education at by going on the day of the birthday. If the people had to start in the first month on the first day,and when they had there birthday they would have to do a full year.That is why I say that this law is bad.kids should go to school any age.

The good laws is to where hats very day except raining outside of school cause if it is sunny, you can wear hats. When it’s raining they should make a law to not where hats after school if it is raining. Thats why I suggest it’s a good law to where hats everyday after school. When it is not raining.

From andrew3

6. Dear Everyone,
    For the law (Children must pass a bike riding test before riding a bike) I think it would be best for people who are having activities with bike riding so they know how many people can ride a bike. It might harm people who don’t know how to ride a bike they might feel left out. I think the people who would like this law are people who are doing bike riding activities. It might be a bit hard because we will need to find the time to do it. It will provide more kids learning how to ride bikes. I think instead making everyone do it we just make the people who don’t know how to ride a bike.

For the law (No homework is to be given on the weekends or on the school holidays) I think it would be best for kids and for parents because then they can have some free time and can plan to do something. I think it might harm teachers because the people who need help aren’t doing homework. I think the people who would like this law are parents and kids. I don’t think it will be hard because most schools don’t give homework on the holidays. It will provide more free time at home. Maybe we could just give homework on the weekends.

From Joanne

7. Dear 3 4

The good thing about swimming is that that the students get more practise and less people will drown. The bad thing about this law is that the swimming pools will get packed and the government will have to make new ones and loose money. The people who will follow this law are the students and the teachers.

The community that will be asked about this law are the schools because there the ones sending the students to the swimming lessons. The people who would like this law are the students parents and lifesavers because the students will learn how to swim the parents will not have to worry about there kids drowning and the lifesavers will not have to worry about saving to many people. The law will be better for the students and lifesavers because the students will learn how to swim and the lifesavers will not have to worry about saving to many people. If someone broke this law they punishment would be that their parents will have to pay a fine of $100.

From Jack1

8. Dear Bloggers,

I think most of the rules are pretty good and these are some of my opinions.

I think having swimming lessons is a great idea because children will be able to swim and we won’t have as many children drowning, however it might have to be two weeks a month or two weeks a year. It would be good for life guards and search and rescue groups because they won’t have to save as many kids.

I think the idea of having ice cream every day is awesome. I think each student should be given an ice cream every day but only in summer because it cools down students from the hot weather. I think it should be the same for the teachers. It will also make school even more looking forward to because ice cream is delicious.

I think the idea of having a television at school is cool and children should be able to watch television, but only at recess and lunch because it is relaxing. The only time children should be watching television in class is to watch the news. If children spend half there day watching television then how are they going to exercise and keep fit.

From Perry

9. Dear Bloggers,

I think that the law ‘each student will be given an ice cream everyday’ is a bad law because it is pointless and why would we want an ice cream in winter? I think it is great for summer because it would keep us cool. The people who would follow this law would be students at schools and teachers. Students would like this law because most kids love ice cream, but the parents might not be happy. If the law was broken, I don’t think anything would really happen because its not important. I think the law is fair (As in it won’t harm anyone). I also think that there is no benefit from the law and I don’t think it would be allowed as a law.

A law that I think is good is ‘all students must do an hour of homework each day’. It means that students will have to do their homework and will have to continue their learning or work at home independently. All students would follow this law and the parents would probably like this law the most. I’m not sure what would happen if the law was broken, but I would hope that everyone would follow the law anyway. I think the law is fair and and as much as I hate homework, I still think its a great law.

From Lucia

10. Dear readers,

I think the good thing about wearing hats all the time in school hours is that kids won’t get burnt or tanned by the sun in summer and spring. The bad thing is that there is no need for a hat in winter and autumn. If the law gets passed I think that the teachers should keep the student in for lunch time. The people it helps are the students outside. It is not fair because we won’t need them in winter and autumn. The government that will accept it is the local government. I think it won’t work that well because it should only be for term one and four. The good thing the law provides is shade from the sun for students. To make it a better law it shouldn’t be for term one two three and four I think it should just be for terms one and four.

From Tass

11. Dear Bloggers,

No television is to be watched at school. I think that this is a good law because it distracts people. I think that this is a bad law because some T.Vs have captions which is when you don’t hear the T.V you have to read the words that come up. I think that some schools will follow this law because they might have lots of students that get distracted.

I think that this would be ask to the teachers and parents because they are part of the child’s education and the teachers are part the students education as well. I think that this law will followed by some teachers. Yes this law will be better for people who have a T.V and would not be good for schools with no T.V. I think that if this law is broken the T.V should be banned for a week. But you can have it on when you are not in learning time.

All students must do an hour of homework a day.I think that this law wi and this will make them do more. I think that teachers will follow this and parents because teachers and parents won’t the students to have a good education. I predict that it will be bad because some people will have a lot of work and it takes up more time. I think it is good because some people do a little bit of homework. The teachers and parents will be asked because they are part of their education.

By Caleb

12. Dear 5/6VA

STUDENTS MUST NOT BRING GLASS BOTTLES TO SCHOOL

I think that it would be good for are most of us, teachers, government and lots of other people. The groups that it would be bad for are the people that disagree, such as some other people that think it’s okay to bring glass bottles to school. Is this fair to other people? I think it’s not because if in other countries some of the people can’t afford plastic bottles only glass ones. I think every body should have a say in this law. I think this law will probably work because maybe most people would vote for plastic bottles. The good things it would provide are not getting hurt and spending less money on glass bottles. I think it would make it better if we only had plastic bottles instead of glass bottles.

From Alana

13. Dear Everyone,

I think most of the rules are excellent but some are absolutely inappropriate.

Law #1.
    States that everyone has to wear a hat outside is propostrous. What about in winter when it rains and we are outside? It will wreck our hats which force us to buy more. Then heaps of the staff will get lots of money they’ll be the ones who will benifit from this monstrocity but we wont. We will be wasting our money on hats and soon there’ll be no more fabric and fibre to go round so the expenses of hats will grow until there’s no more left in the summer and then we’ll get sunburn because of global warming.

Law#3.
    States that everyday kids MUST have an ice-cream, well thats just silly. The obecity of Australia is almost 67.4%. If it increases we could almost match the crisis of obecity in America. If we feed our children of the future sugary, fatty foods it will shorten their life-span and probably decrease Australia’s population. The people who are benefitting from this are the kids who eat it (mentally), but phisically it is fatal for them.

Therefore laws #1 and #3 are a BAD idea!

From Tristan

14. Hi Bloggers,
    I disagree with the idea of children having to go to school on a Monday after their 6th birthday. This would benefit the children born on an early date so that they have more time to learn than some other children that are born on a later date. This is unfair for children born on a later date as they will miss out on a lot of things to learn. I think the teachers and parents should have a saying on the planning of this law. I don’t think this law would work well very much for some children. You could change this law to maybe have children go to different classes in school depending when they were born so most children would learn equally.

The idea of children not being able to bring glass bottles to school I think is a great idea, if a glass bottle shatters at school, it could be dangerous for other students around it. I believe that this law is fair for the students and whoever has to clean it. I think the parents and teachers should have a fair saying of this law. This law would work pretty good anyway since not much people use glass bottles. This law would provide lots of safety for children. I don’t see how you could make this law better as a different kind of drink bottle wouldn’t shatter into a million pieces.

From, Dan

15. Hi Everyone,

I think a good law would be the idea ‘Students must have two weeks of swimming lessons when they are in primary school’ because it saves children’s lives. Two weeks worth of swimming is a reasonable amount but I think they need more. I think doing two weeks every year on swimming lessons would be better for the children. The people who would follow this law would be the children, the parents, the principal, the state or federal government. I also think that the parents, the principal and the swimming company (where you are going to swim) should be asked about this law. I think about the parents because the parents are responsible for getting their child ready for swimming lessons and for giving permission to let their child go swimming. I think the principal because they have to organise the company and the buses. The state or federal government because they need to fund the schools so they can go. The swimming company because they need to prepare everything for the children so it is a safe environment. I think the students would love it because they get to go swimming, I think the teachers will like it too because now they can feel more relaxed because now they know the children can swim. The life guards would love it as well because they won’t have to pull children’s bodies out the water because they drowned but also because they will have fewer incidents where children have drowned. The swimming lessons will be better for the children because now they know how to swim and they would have a good time but it is not so good for the government because they have to use more money on schools. If this law was broken I think the consequence should be a fine, I mean its only swimming lessons it’s not like they killed anybody.

Kristen

16. Dear Bloggers,

I think that the law starting school on the Monday after their sixth birthday is a bad law because students will be starting school from different times all around the year. I also thinks it bad because if your born in December and January, you will have to start. Its good because you will six already and no one will have started school early or late.

The law students will get a ice cream every day is bad because when its winter you could get sick.It will be good in summer because it will be refreshing.This law isn’t fair because some schools can not afford to get so much ice cream. If every school in Australia have this law there will be complaints from the factories that they can’t make that many ice creams.

From Elli

17. Dear Bloggers,

I think that each student will be given an ice-cream everyday will be a good law because it will get people excited for school. This law will benefit children because it would be really hot in summer they will need something to cool them down. This law can be changed to each student will be given ice-cream everyday in summer. This shall benefit the ice-cream factories because there are lots of children in the world and if the all get ice-cream everyday they would need to pay a lot. The people how would like this law would be children because they will get a treat the whole of summer.

I think that having no television in school is a bad law because the school won’t know what is happening around the world. It is not fair because children or teachers won’t be able to be connected with the world. Teachers and students should have a say in the planning of the law.

From Jamie

18. Dear 3/4,
    I think the law ‘students must have two weeks of swimming lessons when they are in primary school’ is a good law but I do think it needs to be modified.This will be a good law because it will help people who are disadvantaged in this area, this will be a bad law because children attending to school will be forced to, even if you are a great swimmer or not.This law has to be followed by students and teachers . The groups of people who should be asked about this law is parents because their children are the their responsibly.This law will be liked by children because swimming is a fun activity for them, parents will also like this because they will feel that their children are more safe underwater.This law will be better for people who have a chance to go to beaches and pools but I don’t think it’s fair that people should pay a lot of money to learn if it will not come to use.Over all I think it is a good law.

From Jessica

19. Dear bloggers

My law that i picked is two weeks of swimming lessons

The good thing about two weeks of swimming lessons that students get fit and not get bored and being active. The bad thing about two weeks of swimming lessons is parents having to waste money and a little waste of time.

The people who will follow this law will might be parents and teachers will maybe do it for their students. Maybe the government would like this idea for kids to get more healthy. I think students would like this idea because they will might go for it. If this law was broken children won’t be having enough exercise.

From Jayden

20. Hello Bloggers,

Swimming lessons would be good for students as the rate of children drowning every year should be decreased.This law could possibly not apply for areas where there are no swimming centers or pools such as Central Australia.The parents in areas where there are swimming pools will be glad that their children will know how to stay afloat in the water,also the children will be looking forward to their swimming lessons when they need to go,the schools might be happier as they know the children can swim if they were ever to be lost at camp for example.The Principal or the vice Principal will need to be asked if their schools were to have swimming lessons.If the law were to be broken, the school would have to be fined heavily.

From Robert.

21. Dear Bloggers,

I think that students have no homework on weekend and school holiday is a good idea because kids should have a break off homework, on the school holiday children should have fun and clods do hours and hours of homework, school holiday children can spend time with their family and friends. Some times this law is bad because some kids don’t learn on holiday and most just play video games ALL day and waste their time. Most students would like this law and most parent would dislike this because children don’t study on school holiday and sometimes weekend.

I think that no television at school is not good idea because some school can watch the news, movies and others. Students can see news and research it and learn More about it, when it is a fun day like book week ( dress up as a character in a book) students can watch a movie and maybe a YouTube video of cooking or song for the young ones like year 1 or 2.Television can be good for school because students can watch history or Jesus history and others.

From Jimmy

22. Hi Everyone,

I think the idea of having a law like ‘Students should start school on the Monday after their 6th birthday’ is ridiculous because some people are born in December and their school year would be over in a matter of weeks. Whereas people born in January get a better education because they are at school a longer amount of time. I think the parents, the students, the principal and the state or federal government would follow this law. The government should be asked about this law because they have to fund the schools so they can get aids and have excursions. The parents because they are responsible for making their child come to school. The principal so they can enrol new students. I think the principal would like the idea of it because they get money for it. This law is probably better for the principal than the parents because the parents with children born halfway through the year won’t get the opportunity but the principal gets money for it. If this law was broken I think you should get a fine. So this is unfair because people who were born towards the end of the year get an education that isn’t great because it was a short year.

Kristen

23. Dear 5/6 VA

NO TELEVISION AT SCHOOL

I disagree with this idea, because what if we needed to provide some information on a piece of writing or a project for the teacher. I think every one should have a say in this. It will provide a lot of information and programs for us. It’s fair to some schools but to others they may not have enough money to by one.

From Alana

24. Hello Everyone,

I think the idea of having a law like ‘Students should start school on the Monday after their 6th birthday’ is ridiculous because some people are born in December and their school year would be over in a matter of weeks. Whereas people born in January get a better education but are at school a longer amount of time. I think the parents, the students, the principal and the state or federal government would follow this law. The government should be asked about this law because they have to fund the schools so they can get aids and have excursions. The parents because they are responsible for making their child come to school. The principal so they can enrol new students. I think the principal would like the idea of it because they get money for it. This law is probably better for the principal than the parents because the parents with children born halfway through the year won’t get the opportunity but the principal gets money for it. If this law was broken I think you should get a fine. So this is unfair because people who were born towards the end of the year get an education that isn’t great because it was a short year.

Kristen