Racism

Anti-Racism Kensington 33
 BEHIND THE NEWS

In recent months the media has highlighted several incidents of racism against some well-known sports stars and celebrities. That sort of behaviour is actually illegal in Australia but some people reckon the public needs to be better educated about what racism is and what they can do about it. Sarah finds out how the government has been working with kids on a video which they hope will help to fight racism in schools.

Please watch the BTN clip about Racism then leave a comment. You can also read the transcript if you prefer.

http://www.abc.net.au/btn/story/s3825539.htm

Have you been a victim of racism?

What is the difference between someone being mean to you and someone being racist?

The story and the ad campaign end with ‘What you say matters’. Do you believe this?

What are you going to do to stop racism?

Photo Credit: Robert Thivierge via Compfight

on “Racism
10 Comments on “Racism
  1. Dear Bloggers,
    I think that racism is very inappropriate and immature and it needs to be stopped.

I have been a victim of racism and I know that it really puts you down, it makes you feel like there’s something wrong with you. If someone calls you a name like a loser, it’s not being racist teasing someone on there culture is racism. I believe that what you say doesn’t matter because if you have courage and stand up for what you believe in you will be fine.
    By Taylah

2. Dear Bloggers,
    I think that racism is very inappropriate because your abusing someone for their culture.I think that what you say matters because you can really hurt someone’s feelings so you always need to think about what you say before you say it.

From Elli

3. Dear 5/6VA,
    I don’t think that children or adults should have been affected with racism because no one should be teased, bullied or harassed because of there background or even skin colour. All humans have rights and should never be treated like that.

Prakashika

4. Dear 5/6VA
    I think this is a great way to try and help people that are being teasd or bullied about their skin colour and culture.I also hope people stop teasing other people about that.

From Alana

5. Dear Bloggers,
    I have once been a victim of racism but I think other people are getting affected more than me and I think it does matter that we stop this from continuing and maybe we could show if they were treated how the victims of racism felt then they will realise what they are doing to us.
    From Joanne

6. Dear Class,

I feel sad for the the people that have suffered racism and who’s lives have been effected because of racism. I don’t think people deserve to be a victim of racism as it is painful and rude.

From Tristan

7. Dear Bloggers,

I think that racism is an issue that should be dealt with no matter how mild it is. Parents or teachers should teach kids about the concequences of racism and how it can affect others. Racism is one of the forms of bullying or teasing, which really isn’t fair. If you want to spit out words on someone, then find something else to tease them about (not that teasing/ bullying is ok anyway). I have not been a victim of racism ( I come from a Greek background by the way) , but I know that it must be very hurtful! Some people also think that getting called a swear word or something offensive that isn’t to do with their race, means that it’s racism. It isn’t. Racism is only when you get teased about your skin colour or the country you come from. And yes, I think that the little quote ‘ what you say matters’ is true because what you say DOES matter and some people self harm or try to kill themselves from getting bullied or getting hurt from a comment!

From Lucia

8. Hi Everybody,
    I think that racism is disgraceful. It should be stopped everywhere. I have been apart of racism and it is sad and disappointing that people don’t stop. Stand up for what is right and stop racism.

9. Hi Everyone,

I haven’t experienced racism directly but my friends have experienced it. When you say something mean to someone it doesn’t necessarily affect them and you could say anything but when you say so something about their culture or skin color, that is racism. The saying ‘What you say Matters’ is important and I believe it, what you say does matter. If I see racism again I will do my best to prevent it from getting worse.

Kristen

10. Hi Everyone,

I think think racism should not be allowed because it hurts and offends people’s feelings. I haven’t experienced it but my friends have told me it is completely hurtful.